Sunday Funday: Voltex Type 7 Install

Sunday Funday returns and we have one of the more exciting installs (for me, anyway) this weekend. We got around to finally installing the Voltex Type 7 Swan Neck GT wing today and it took us a about 2.5 hours to get it done from start to finish, taking our time to ensure we got it all right. When you’re drilling holes in your trunk, you don’t wanna be rushing through and having more holes than you really need 🙂

Anyway, I’ll just hop right into it… There are a bunch of install pics this time because Punit took charge of the camera most of the time and actually got some decent shots (lol) so for the first time in a while, I’m not the one taking pics and you’ll see me make an appearance. (I actually do things when I’m not holding the camera too).

IMG_4941[1] copy

Gopesh came by first and we decided to get a start on things while waiting for JC and Punit. The first step was basically unhooking the one wire and then cutting out the two metal reinforcements in the trunk. Not to worry – Voltex provides a clamshell-type backing that creates an almost better reinforcement.

In this shot above, you’ll see that we already cut one side off while Gopesh taped off the other side to try and protect the paint just in case the angle grinder skipped.

IMG_4944[1] copy

Another shot.

IMG_4946[1] copy

And here we go. I know, I know – you’re asking “where’s his face protection!?” – well I didn’t have any… But we all walked away good today. 🙂

IMG_4948[1] copy

So instead, Gopesh suggested I wear my sunglasses just in case LOL.

IMG_4955[1] copy

Here’s the first piece out of the way.

IMG_4957[1] copy

Gopesh taping up the next side…

IMG_4959[1] copy

And we were off!

IMG_4964[1] copy

Mocking up the clamshell piece that Voltex provided. Fits like a glove!

IMG_4967[1] copy

By this point, Punit was on a rampage with the camera. No pictures please!

IMG_4969[1] copy

A somewhat aerial view.

IMG_4970[1] copy

Taking the wing apart to get the bases off.

IMG_4971[1] copy

IMG_4976[1] copy

It takes three to unscrew a few bolts it seems.

IMG_4977[1] copy

Another shot of the two reinforcement pieces out of the way.

IMG_4979[1] copy

The wing sans bases.

IMG_4981[1] copy

Here me and JC are drilling the holes through the trunk for the bases. We used the clamshell to guide us for the holes.

IMG_4985[1] copy

Some artsy photos I guess

IMG_4989[1] copy

Don’t mind Diana’s dirty car…

IMG_4991[1] copy

The 6 holes are drilled! And we were ready to move on…

IMG_4993[1] copy

Here we prep the bases to get mounted onto the trunk.

IMG_4997[1] copy

Focus…

IMG_5000[1] copy

One side on… On to the next one!

IMG_5002[1] copy

IMG_5003[1] copy

Told Punit to do some work while I take some pictures. lol

IMG_5004[1] copy

Wing on top of Diana’s car lol

IMG_5006[1] copy

Guiding the bolts through the clamshell.

IMG_5009[1] copy

Tightening up

IMG_5011[1] copy

Here JC was tightening up the nuts on each of the bolt ends.

IMG_5014[1] copy

Not sure what was going on here lol

IMG_5024[1] copy

Anyway, once the bases were on, we drilled new holes for the rivets.

IMG_5028[1] copy

Getting the rivets on. Gopesh distracted by what appears to be ass.

IMG_5030[1] copy

Bases good to go!

IMG_5031[2] copy

Rivets in. Two not in when this photo was taken. The good thing about this clamshell is that it’s fairly thick and sturdy – it almost provides more of a reinforcement for the trunk than the two metal pieces we cut out.

IMG_5036[1] copy

Assembling the wing one piece at a time. First the stands to the wing…

IMG_5044[1] copy

After that was done, I had to get in my Asian lean back pose to ensure the Voltex sticker was on straight.

IMG_5046[1] copy

Good to go!

IMG_5048[1] copy

Trying to get the other side… A little more difficult since the car was basically pinned up right next to the wall.

IMG_5055[1] copy

And voila! Good to go. Again, some shots were with my wide angle and so it’s ‘slightly’ bigger than it really is, but I tried to get a bit further to give a better sense of its size.

IMG_5061[1] copy

Love it.

IMG_5062[1] copy

Took the covers off for a full on shot just to get a better sense of what it would look like. The front of the car obviously isn’t as aggressive enough now, but it will be soon…

IMG_5064[1] copy

One more from the rear quarter.

IMG_5065[1] copy

And again some detail shots.

IMG_5074[1] copy

Beautiful.

IMG_5079[1] copy

The icing on the cake!

IMG_5080[1] copy

IMG_5086[1] copy

Aggressive.

IMG_5090[1] copy

And one last one again!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s