… Kind of.
I’ve been wanting to attempt this project for some time now – and me being the Ti-burning pro that I am (sarcasm), I decided to give it a go. I wasn’t too worried about messing up because if you do get the colour wrong, then you can easily polish it off and try again. (You might be hitting yourself in the head for paying an extra $200 for a burned finish that can be wiped off with simple polish now). I did detail the process of colour change when you’re torching a while back when I did my exhaust tips on the STI. It basically goes from brown > purple > dark blue > light blue > silver. Once you get to silver, you have to start over by wiping it away – it doesn’t just cycle through the colours again. Another thing to keep in mind is that the colour changes due to the heat rising so you want to stop applying the torch BEFORE you get to the colour you want, otherwise it’ll keep changing even after the heat is off and you’ll likely go too far.
It’s not a painful task but it does take patience and a steady hand so that you get an even burn. I unfortunately didn’t get to take any pics from my SLR but Diana did snap some of me while I was doing it and then I took some from my phone as well.
You can start to see the color showing up as I go around.
This was my first attempt – I got better as I went but I made sure to start on a part that would never be seen when it’s on the car just in case. It does get hot so hold it somewhere that you can have a steady grip. You also want to be careful once you’re done not to let it rest on anything because it’ll melt it pretty quick and you’ll ruin your finish for good.
An shot I took and posted on instgram. You can kind of see the spot where I could’ve applied more heat where it’s still sort of purple. I went back and fixed it after.